INFORMATION ABOUT THE FLU VACCINATION FOR PATIENTS 2020/2021
Please read carefully.
We have produced this information to help reduce the amount of calls enquiring about the flu vaccination.
Delivering the flu vaccination programme will be more challenging this year because of the impact of COVID-19 on our services. These are the arrangements for the clinics in place this year to ensure they are as safe for our staff and patients as possible.
We will be running flu clinics with booked appointments ONLY this year. If you are eligible for a vaccine you will receive a letter explaining how you can book an appointment. Please only book an appointment when you have received a letter inviting you to do so. PLEASE DO NOT attend without an appointment. The clinic is designed to maintain social distancing as we must reduce the risk of transmission of COVID19 when large numbers of patients are attending the surgery.
For those already registered for online access, some flu vaccine appointments will be available to book online (these are for the flu vaccine only). The information you will need to do this will be included in your flu invite letter.
If you do not do not have online services activated already, please DO NOT come into the surgery to apply, instead we recommend you download the NHS app and create a log in which will give you access to the online flu appointments. For further information to access the NHS App please click on the following link: NHS App
DO NOT book into these appointment slots for anything other than a flu vaccine as you WILL NOT be seen for other problems. DO NOT book into these slots if you are not eligible for a flu vaccine as the appointment will be cancelled to allow eligible patients book for their vaccination.
If you do not have online access, you will need to ring the surgery to book an appointment. Please be patient and treat our staff with respect during this very busy time. Please ring AFTER 11am to enable us to deal with urgent telephone messages first.
Patients over 65, and those turning 65 before 31st March 2021, receive a different vaccination than those aged 18-64. Clinics will run on different days for each age group, if you book into the wrong clinic day, you will be asked to book on the correct day.
The flu vaccine will NOT protect you against the Coronavirus.
On the day of your appointment:
• You must not attend if you or any members of your household have symptoms of coronavirus, a positive COVID result in the last two weeks or if you have been told to isolate. Contact us and we will rebook your appointment when you are able to leave isolation.
• You must wear clothing which makes it easy to expose your upper arm. The vaccinations will be given quickly to limit your time in the surgery building.
• You must wear a face covering.
• Follow the instructions of the staff who are supervising the patient flow – they are there for your safety. You will be entering the surgery by the main front entrance and leaving by the side door
• Attend on your own unless you need help in mobilising.
• Walk to the practice if you are able to. We would like to reserve car parking spaces for blue badge holders and those with poor mobility. If you do need to drive, please be considerate of our neighbours if you park in the street. If someone is driving you down, please ask them to wait away from the practice premises.
• Do not arrive early or late for your appointment time: we have allocated a strict number of patients per session to ensure that people are queueing for the minimum of time and social distancing is maintained.
• We encourage you not to touch anything in the practice. Bring your own hand sanitiser to use should you wish to.
• Please follow the instructions for queuing. The queue will be controlled to ensure social distancing. If you are in a wheelchair or have very limited mobility, please make yourself known to the car park steward.
• If it is raining on the day, please come prepared with an umbrella as the queue will be outside for a short period of time.
• We apologise, there will be no chairs available to sit on while waiting (for infection control reasons). If you think you will struggle with this, please speak to the car park steward on arrival.
We appreciate your co-operation at this time.